Saturday, November 05, 2005

So, I turn 30 in three weeks.

When I graduated from college I told a fellow music geek friend of mine that in our 30's we'd end up buying the two albums that sold bucketloads during our college career but never bought- Bush's Sixteen Stone and Alanis Morisette's Jagged Little Pill. Both of them were inescapable in the mid-90s. I hated Bush for being so popular despite their lack of originality (I still swooned over "Swallowed", beating out the Toadies and McClusky for best Pixies rip-off ever). I hated Alanis for her calculated confessionalism and that frickin' harmonica. I really hated both of them because the Nerve played them every five minutes.

So, today, inbetween procrastinating and doing an assignment for school, I realized the grunge-hating other half (for some reason) has Sixteen Stone, and I'm listening to it. I'm kind of liking it. Still not diggin' Alanis too much, though.

So, in honor of Bush, here is a list of things that were popular when I was 20 that noone really cares about anymore:

-Sun Dried Tomatoes
-The Smashing Pumpkins
-Doc Martens
-Automobiles smaller than tanks
-Low fat everything
-NYPD Blue
-Drum n Bass
-Compact Discs
-Democrats
-Jeans that cost less than 200 bucks

I love the 90s!!

2 comments:

HanktheDog said...

Nice blog, Lou. You've got a fine voice.

Francisco (Melvin) Rosario said...

Louise, I don't know what Bush is ... is it the President, the Governor or did they marry Gwen Stefani?

Hmmm, being that I'm nowhere near the levels of music snobbery you and that Tex-Mex friend of ours inhabit, I fully and truly enjoyed Alanis's Jagged Little Pill and even Supposed Former Infatuated Junkie ... My love for her however has dwindled since and I can't listen to Jagged Little Pill anymore because I'm just not the same angry, white woman I was from 1995 - 1998, therefore I can't relate to her themes any longer.

All my best,

Phyllis G.