Tuesday, October 10, 2006

I'm kinda saddened by the closing of Tower Records. This will probably shock and amaze everyone that knows me, but back when I was young and not at work 24 hours a day, I could spend hours and hours browsing the racks and listening stations at Tower Records. Growing up in suburbia, having a music store open until midnight on Sunday was a godsend, and Tower was the only place you could find imports and indie records. Of course, the internet has changed everything, and instead of looking at a new band's CD and wondering what they sound like, we can go online and find out immediately (that's a good thing - this would have saved me thousands of dollars years ago*).

I wonder what the corner of 4th and Broadway is going to feel like without Tower there. When I was a teenager first learning my way around the village, this was one of my major landmarks I used to orient myself. Please let it not be another Jamba Juice!

* OK, I'm exaggerating

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fear not Louise, we all know it's not going to be a Jamba Juice ... it's either going to be a Duane Reade or a Starbucks ...

All my best,
Phyllis G.

Lou said...

There's two Duane Reade's in the immediate area already, so that's unlikely. There's already a Starbucks half a block down, but they're still a possibility. I'm thinking Trader Joe's now. Whole Foods will be a few blocks down on Houston, so this would be a primo spot for them to set up shop.

Anonymous said...

If there's one thing I've learned in midtown is that there is no such thing as too many Duane Reades ...