Monday, June 04, 2007

it was kinda minimal, and kinda the best night ever

So, I ended up dragging my tired bum to Mayer and Boratto at Cielo. I'm pretty sure that the last time I enjoyed myself this much at a club, Clinton was our president and the Twin Towers were still standing. I left about three hours later than I set out to (that was three hours of looking at my watch and going "OK, just one more song and I'll go").

Highlights of the night:
- The opening DJs dropping better music than I've heard most top tier NYC favorites spinning for the past seven years
- Boratto spinning the prime cuts from his Chromophobia album, each new blip and thud eliciting roars from the crowd
- Mayer bopping around in front of his laptop (remember records?)
- A rather euphoric clubgoer informing me that I was actually the person that killed Laura Palmer
- Learning the Cielo economy:

- Watered Down Stoli Orange + Tonic = $10 plus $1 tip
- 12oz Amstel Light = $7 plus $1 tip
- 22oz Sapporo = $10 plus $1 tip
- 22oz Sapporo = bargain
- 2 x 22oz Sapporo = bloated on the dancefloor

-Mayer dropping the Carl Craig remix to Junior Boys "Like a Child" at 3 a.m.


Uh-oh point of the night:
- Getting into the cab after everything and realizing I was pretty darn tired after all

Also:
-The back of my head and my arm ended up in a picture on Resident Advisor (I really wasn't trying to make shadow puppets, really I wasn't)
- The New York Times liked it too
!

3 comments:

N said...

Hey, I was at that show as well, and had an amazing time. There was a song in the middle of the set (after The Field, but I can't remember if it was before or after the Junior Boys remix) that I was going ape over.. and I have no idea what it was. It was really really nasty sounding, with giant, pulsing bass, highs that built to crescendos, and this intermittent minor glockenspiel hook that locked the whole arrangement into place. It was super sexy, and super dirty, but sounded so good... Any idea what I'm talking about, what song that was?? Or do you know a place I can find a setlist or something?? Please help!

Lou said...

Hi Nicholas!

That whole section of the night where he dropped The Field/Junior Boys/etc was magic. I totally know the glockenspiel/xylophone track you were talking about, but alas have no idea what it was. Maybe it will be included on Mayer's Speicher CD3 comp coming out this month?

Lou said...

Hey Nicholas - In case you check back, the track you're looking for is Supermayer's "Two Of Us"