Wednesday, December 01, 2004

A short article on the website that singlehandedly ruined indie rock for me, basically because it epitomizes the insular, holier-than-thou, inablility to express enjoyment in a non-ironic manner wankfest that is, in effect, the present day hipster. They manage to stay in my daily rotation of web surfing because I haven't found a decent source of daily music news, but right next to their news column lurks the daily reviews. Each and everyday I click on the main review du jour, knowing that the pretentiousness and lack of rounded musical knowledge is going to grate on my nerves and make me subconsciously tighten the grip on my coffe cup. I skim through the review, go "C'mon, just get to the point! Who has time to read this garbage!," and then go over to the New York Times or BBC News and remind myself that, along with the staff of Pitchfork and much of the rest of the country, I spend too much time worrying about stuff that doesn't matter.

No comments: