Monday, December 12, 2005

I was able to really test out the Rhapsody service this weekend as I churned out spreadsheet after spreadsheet. Side note - did I mention next week is my last week for school? Anyway, I'm in heaven. Any service that lets you stream the entire Depeche Mode discography (every mini-e.p. and single ever released is on there) one second and then stream the all 16 glorious minutes of the original 12" version of Donna Summer's "Love to Love you Baby" next gets seventeen thumbs up in my book.

I got to check out the entire catalog of two artists I've been meaning to check out for a while - Sergio Mendes and Vince Guaraldi. Sergio Mendez is the bossa nova king, and after a couple of his albums I felt at peace with the earth and I was dying for a good martini. Vince Guaraldi is perhaps best known for providing the music for the Charlie Brown Christmas Special. His stuff is amazing as well.

The service is not without its snags, though. The house and techno offerings are severely limited. There's hardly anything there (e.g. not even Richie Hawtin), and although Orbital's catalog is on there for some reason the original version of "Chime" is absent. Also, the service completely crashed Firefox twice (which, knowing Firefox, may not be Rhapsody's fault).

The next step is dedicating a computer for the living room to stream this stuff through the stereo.

No comments: