Monday, September 11, 2006

It's amazing how the weather in NYC today is almost exactly the same as it was five years ago this very day. Beautiful, sunny, with that chill in the air foreboding the end of the summer, sweaty August mornings becoming a distant memory.

I can remember everything that happened around me that day. I remember the look on the guy's face that let me in the office once I got out of the elevator. I remember seeing so many of my co-workers in a different light. I remember how my breakfast tasted, and how I didn't eat it until after noon, at which time I devoured it nervously. I remember not knowing what to do, at all. I remember every single stop the subway made on the way home. I still become extremely angry when I see a sign, a TV spot, or a T-shirt with the words "we shall never forget."

For five years I've regretted not sending a note to my partner before I left work that day, in case I didn't make it home. I should have sent him a note telling him how much he's meant to me, how relieved I was that he was safe, and how I couldn't wait to get home to him. How could I have forgotten to do something so important?

No comments: